in line, waiting for food.
Soldiers, children, stand by cradling Kalashnikovs. Some smile. Some struggle for seriousness of expression adopting mannerisms from satellite TV.
– Join our movement. We have satellite TV.
Meanwhile food is running low. Green broth in steel drums. Is it food, or something else? Coolant.
– Don’t worry. It’s loaded with vitamins and nutrients. Enough to see you through the day.
The line snakes and swells back to Eden and forward to judgement day. Children keep order.
– You there. Get back in line. You there. Keep moving.
A rumor rolls forward.
– There is not enough food. There is not enough for everyone.
– Don’t worry.
The voice of reason.
– They will bring more.
More is coming.
Sandstorm in the distance.
– Those are trucks. See. More is coming.
The trucks arrive. Soldiers.
– What? No food?
That is a problem.
In this day and age, no less.
What went before, happened next.